Monday, April 26, 2010

Member Story - Charming Prints

Charmingprints makes some amazing quilts!  She's taken a break from quilting just long enough to share her story!



Charmingprints Story:

I have always loved making and creating things, and doing artistic crafts. I fell away from it though while I was in military college and the Navy. When I finished my term, I began to work for a Fortune 50 company in retail distribution, while beginning my family. I met a great lady when my daughter was young and we began to spend time together during the day (I was working nights). She showed me how to quilt, make jam and raise chickens. I have since lost touch with her, but I will never forget the skills she taught me and the friendship we shared. Over the years I made quilts for family members and friends, to bring peace of mind from the empty career I was trying to build.

I've lived in many states between that company and the next one I worked for (same scenario, different corporation). By November 2009, I was managing a 1.4 million square foot distribution center full of import products, to be distributed to the 301 stores my building serviced. My annual P&L was $328 million and I had up to 180 staff. But I was also a single mother with 2 daughters, and an 83 mile commute each way. I was bordering on miserable trying to balace work, life and that horrendous commute.

My boss allowed me to work from home part of the time, which was helpful. Until November 12th, 2009 when he fired me for attendance (not showing up for work). I was shocked, but not. Relieved but scared. I was overjoyed but terrified at the prospect that I had to make a decision about what to do next.

I can't even stomach the thought of going back to an office job, commuting or wearing a suit. Fortunately, I still have some time and savings to pursue this dream. The dream of raising my girls, not letting a daycare's minimum wage workers do it for me. The dream of supporting myself and my family, without having to support something I don't believe in and feel spiritually stripped at the end of every day.



I had to put my fear in my back pocket and sit on it. I had to overcome my anxiety about what tomorrow might hold and embrace the excitement of that prospect. I didn't want to show my girls that I would not be so easily defeated; that I planned well and could and would thrive from this blessing in disguise. So here we are.
 Visit her shop today!  Charmingprints

2 comments:

  1. thank you for posting this - thank you for reading this - thank you for accepting me into your community!

    ReplyDelete