Friday, March 19, 2010

Member Story - Susan Williams Designs

Thanks Susan for sharing your story!

What kind of art/craft do you do?
I make jewelry mainly from guitar picks and hardware, but do other jewelry too. I mostly use glass beads and stone beads. I also do some painting and have a shop for that www.artbysusanwilliams.etsy.com

How did you get interested in it?
I took a lot of art in high school (a very long time ago) including jewelry. I majored in Constructive Design my first round of college.
How long have you been crafting?
I have been crafting since I was a little girl. My parents are European and so we learned embroidery, crochet, knitting, sewing, etc. Wish I remembered how to crochet and knit.What was your day job and what happened?
My last REAL job was at an equine hospital. I worked in the accounting department. I left the job and moved to Tennessee, but we returned to the area eight months later. By then, the job market was starting to collapse. There weren't a lot of decent jobs in this area to begin with. I have done some temp jobs, but even now, there really aren't even menial jobs available and they won't hire me anyway, because I am overqualified. I have applied everywhere.

How did you turn a negative to a positive?
This really has turned into a plus for me. I have always worked while my daughter was little and in school. I want to be home for her now, even thought she is in high school. Her friends complain they don't have enough quality time with their mothers and my daughter tells them she has TOO MUCH quality time. We get to do a lot of stuff together because I am not chained down to a job. I also am now going to college and will hopefully end up with a Masters in Library Science and a new career that I will love.
What effect has it had on you and your art/craft?
I haven't been creative in a long time. Jewelry making has kept me from going nuts. Gave me something to do. I am hoping that at one point I may even make a profit. But even so, I still do it because I enjoy it and I love Etsy and all the support they have given me.
What would you like to tell others who are going through the same things?
Each day is a new day.
It is okay to cry.
Tell everyone that you are looking for a job.
Ignore the ones that tell you that you aren't looking hard enough.
It is okay to ask for help.

Tips/Ideas for Promoting your shops/ etc.
Blog, facebook, twitter, and join teams. You have to get out there. Tell everyone what you do, wherever you go. Promote yourself.

Where else can we find you?
Twitter: www.twitter.com/guitar_picks
My blog: www.redheadhomestead.blogspot.com
Become a fan: http://tinyurl.com/ylrrbju
My etsy shops:
www.susanwilliamsdesigns.etsy.com
www.artbysusanwilliams.etsy.com

3 comments: